Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Senator Ensign to admit extramarital affair


Senator John Ensign, Republican of Nevada, admitted Tuesday that he had an extramarital affair with a member of his campaign staff.

Ensign would not identify the woman, but said both she and her husband had been "close friends." Her husband, he said, also worked for him.

An aide said that the consensual affair took place between December 2007 and August 2008, and that the woman worked for Mr. Ensign’s campaign operation, Ensign for Senate, as well as for a conservative political action committee, Battleborn PAC, from December 2006 to May 2008. Mr. Ensign is honorary chairman of the PAC. The woman’s husband was a member of Mr. Ensign’s official Senate staff. Neither has worked for the senator since May 2008, the aide said.

"Last year I had an affair," the senator told reporters outside his office in Las Vegas. "I violated the vows of marriage. It's absolutely the worse thing I've done in my life."

"I take full responsibility for my actions. I know I have deeply hurt and disappointed my wife Darlene, my children, my family, friends, my staff and those who believed in me. And to all of them, especially my wife, I'm truly sorry."

Mr. Ensign, 51, is married and has three children. He and his wife, Darlene, were active for a time in Promise Keepers, a Christian evangelical ministry that promotes strong families and marriages.

Mr. Ensign’s wife also issued a statement, affirming her commitment to her husband: “Since we found out last year, we have worked through the situation, and we have come to a reconciliation. This has been difficult on both families. With the help of our family and close friends, our marriage has become stronger. I love my husband.”

Neither remained in Ensign's employ as of May 2008.

More Hot Stories:
Miley Cyrus caught kissing!
joe buck artie lange video
lala's new haircut

0 comments:

Post a Comment