Tuesday, March 3, 2009

new bachelorette - Jillian Harris

One of the final four women to vie for Jason Mesnick's affections will be the next star of "The Bachelorette."

Amid the furor of Jason Mesnick's decisions on "The Bachelor" finale Monday, discussed for another hour on Tuesday's "The Bachelor: After the Final Rose Part Two," there was also some reality show news: a new "Bachelorette" was named for the next go-round of the dating show.

Jillian Harris, the fun-loving interior designer from Alberta, Canada, who finished third in Mesnick's season (or second since Jason dumped his top pic for the No. 2), will now be doing her own choosing among 25 single men when "The Bachelor" begins May 18.

Jillian, the 29-year-old interior designer from Alberta, Canada, will look for a love interest among 25 men as the new "Bachelorette."

Host Chris Harrison said she "really captured America's heart and the groundwell of support for her to become the new 'Bachelorette' was overwhelming."

“I’m a very lucky person. I’ve been a huge fan of the show since day one,” Jillian said on Tuesday night’s “Bachelor”: After the Final Rose Part II. “I did fall in love once before [with Jason]. I know this is a great venue for me to fall in love again.”

Regarding the controversial turn of events on “The Bacherlor” -- in which Jason dumped winner Melissa Rycroft for runner-up Molly Malaney -- Jillian says, “Jason seems to me like he has kept his chin up,” but adds that “I hope that I make the right choice the first time.”

"It's a very unorthodox way to find love. but we are living in a world where people are doing things differently," she said.

"It's a great opportunity for me," Harris said. "I fell in love once before and I know this is a great venue for me to fall in love again."

"Seeing what Jason went through makes you realize there's no guarantees in life," she said. "I only hope I make the right choice the first time."

Also she said, "I don't need my dad to see any more hot tub scenes."

Earlier in the show wrap up (which unlike Monday's, was filmed before an audience), Jason and his final choice Molly Malaney said they have been spending time together on several of the weekends in the six weeks since Monday's "After the Final Rose" was taped. and that they were still in love and together.

Melissa Rycroft, who originally got the final rose and the proposal, didn't make the show Tuesday but passed along a message that Harrison read that she was doing fine and had no regrets.

Mesnick, for his part, didn't help his public image with his justifications. "Even though I hurt people along the way," he said, "I felt I did it with integrity."

Malaney took issue with some of the public outcry. "My morals and my character are being questioned, which is really unfortunate. People are quick to judge," she said. But she quoted something someone told her: "People forget we are more than just characters on a TV show."

Some of the other women who had been previously eliminated this season also had a chance on the show to share their reactions.

"I do feel a little bit flabbergasted," said Erica DeSimone, 25, of Monroe, the only Connecticut contestant among Mesnick's pool of 25. "You're dealing with people's lives.This is a serious commitment."

Catch Jillian when “The Bachelorette” premieres May 18 on ABC.

0 comments:

Post a Comment